Your support in faithful prayer for us, our partners around the world and their communities, and for God’s ongoing work of justice, is just as important as your financial donations.
On this page, you will find information about our work, our partners and the people involved. We hope that these are useful starting points for your prayers and reflections.
Thank you for your ongoing prayers. They are deeply valued.
July – September 2020
- Thank God that our partner, the Ahli Arab Hospital, has been able to continue its work despite COVID-19. They have been meeting with Community-Based Organisations to agree on strategies for social and behavioural change that improves men’s understanding and acceptance of women with breast cancer.
- Pray that the Women’s Health program will be able to find more positive male role models to demonstrate respect their wives, daughters, sisters and mothers who are living with breast cancer.
- Thank God that the Spafford Children’s Center has reopened after being closed since March.
- Pray that children will feel safe as they return to the centre and re-engage with each other and the activities they participate in.
- Thank God that there are still no cases of coronavirus detected in Vanuatu. Pray that this will continue to be the case.
- Pray for strength for our partner, the Anglican Church of Melanesia, as they continue their recovery from Tropical Cyclone Harold.
- Thank God for the support of the Australian Government in our COVID-19 response. It is helping with the translation of health information which is particularly assisting those with disabilities and in danger of gender-based violence
- Thank God for the Gender Equality Theology training for church leaders. Pray that they will be able to bring across the problem of gender-based violence in a way that the community will understand and engage with.
- Thank God for the faithful support of our donors to our COVID-19 response. It is helping with reaching the most vulnerable with health information and food and hygiene provisions.
- Thank God for the work of 120 clergy who are reaching more than 10,000 people through online sermons with life-saving information about COVID-19 prevention.
- Pray for the Diocese of Nampula as they respond to an increase in COVID-19 cases. Since early June, the area the diocese covers has become something of a hotspot for cases. The area has approximately 15 percent of the country’s infections.
- Pray for resilience and energy for the Equipas de Vida (community volunteer Life Teams) as they continue to educate communities on protection against infections.
- Pray for the staff of the Department of Social Responsibility in the Diocese of Grahamstown as they come face to face with sickness and ill-health. Some of them have close contact with those who have contracted COVID-19.
- Thank God for all that the Sinakho Safe Community Network Project has achieved over the years. Pray that the successes the communities have seen will be able to be maintained in the future.
- Pray for our partner, the Afar Pastoralist Development Association, as they disseminate information on COVID-19 prevention. Pray that communities will take heed and abide by good hygiene practices.
- Thank God for the opportunity to work with the community on behaviour changes regarding reducing respiratory transmission of diseases such as tuberculosis, measles and whooping cough.
- Pray for the continued health of people in the self-help groups in our work in Kolkata, as the nation struggles to implement physical distancing measures.
- Continue to pray for our partner, Cathedral Relief Service, as project activities remain suspended due to the nationwide lockdown.
- Thank God that the work is able to continue until 30 September 2020. Pray that this will be a time when our partner, Akhaya, can continue to support trainees to start a silversmith workshop and provide two online life skills training sessions.
- Pray that the country will be able to limit the number of cases of COVID-19 and that they will be able to increase testing capacity.
- Pray for members of the CAN DO consortium as they continue to support communities recovering from the effects of Tropical Cyclone Harold across the Pacific.
- Pray for resilience in communities in the Pacific as they face the duel problems of continuing recovery from Tropical Cyclone Harold while mitigating the secondary impacts of COVID-19 restrictions.
- Thank God for the extraordinary generosity of our supporters. We met our End of Financial Year Appeal target, meaning we can continue our COVID-19 response as planned.
- Pray for the staff of Anglican Overseas Aid as they continue to operate mainly from home while trying to support communities overseas.
What does prayer have to do with alleviating poverty?
One of the distinctive marks of the Christian faith is the message that the God who made everything wants to have a personal relationship with us. God is both ultimate and intimate. When we look up at the stars on a clear night we can often think like the Psalmist did,