We are committed to enabling and investing in self-reliance. We build on strengths, and scale-up self-replicating household savings through our Anglican networks. New investment is focusing on supporting innovative pilots to promote self-reliance.
Our goal in this area is for our partners to have enabled effective household savings and supported self-reliance initiatives with evidence of increased economic opportunities for communities.
What We Are Doing
We have already established savings programs in the Pacific and Africa that could be strengthened in terms of quality, effectiveness and scale. Groups we are supporting through the Mothers’ Union in the Solomon Islands are
Get the Facts
- Africa’s total undernourished population, 224 million, represents a quarter of the world’s entire population who are undernourished.
- Approximately 45% of deaths among children under 5 years of age are linked to malnutrition.
- Yields for women farmers are 20% to 30% lower than for men. This is because women have less access to improved seeds, fertilisers and equipment.
- The combination of moderate and severe levels of food insecure people in the world is an 26.4% of the world population, amounting to about 2 billion people.
- Agriculture is the single largest employer in the world, providing livelihoods for 40% of today’s global population.